2017 Innovation Award Winners
Overall winner of the Sport, Recreation and Play Innovation Award was Glen Eira City Council – for their playground and open space play area. They transformed the old Caufield Reservoir into a 17,000m2 site into a diverse and unique public open space for the whole community. The new park features a play space, providing a stimulating and challenging environment for all ages and abilities. A water play area reflects the former use of the site. There are active sports areas as well as passive spots for relaxation, picnic shelters and barbeque facilities — offering a range of opportunities for the whole community.
The Awards, presented at the 2017 National Sports Convention, recognised achievement and innovation that has promoted and encouraged more people to play, recreate and participate in sport.
Each category winner received a trophy and cash prize.
The finalists in each category were:
Programs, Activities and Events Award
Programs, activities and events that have been developed to encourage the community to be more active in large numbers.
Joint Winners: Aligned Leisure – Tiger PAW (physical Activity and Wellbeing); Community School Based Program and Belgravia Health and Leisure – Belgravia Leisure Access and Inclusion Program
- Gymnastics Victoria – Aerobase – Video aid aerobic program for children with all abilities
Sports Turf Award
Innovative solutions that encourage field designs which results in greater usage.
Winner: Grassports – St Helena Secondary School – Multi-sport Facility
- Grassports – Cricket wicket – Design for skill improvement
- Sportszone – Richard Johnson Anglican School – Multi-sport Facility
Technological Solutions and Products Award
Technology that make the playing or administration of sport easier, more enjoyable or to enhance performance.
Winner: RevolutioniseSPORT – Event HQ – Integrated solution for Ski and Snowboard Australia
- InteractSport – Cricket Live Scoring – App development with peak bodies
- Sports Performance Tracking – Affordable Sports GPS tracking – accessible technology
Designs and developments that encourage more children to play, have fun and be active.
Winner: Glen Eira City Council – Playground – Open space play area
- Grassports – Sacred Heart Primary School – Outdoor classroom
- Glooploop Surfacing – Stockland’s Shellharbour – playground
Marketing and Communication Award
Packaging and communication of an opportunity in a manner that has encouraged more people to be active
Winner: Inclusive Sport SA Inc – Humans of Sport in SA – inspirational stories of SA Sport
- Team App – Communications Tool – integration of all club and sport communications
Facility Design and Development Award
Innovative design and management that creates and environment where more people are active, (built and natural environments)
Winner: Baw Baw Shire Council – Warragul Leisure Centre Redevelopment
- City of Boroondara – Boroondara Sports Complex – integration and development of two facilities
- DCE – St Kevin’s School – Multi sports facility