Wednesday 19th July
As the community continues to grow many local sports, local governments and education suppliers need more space to play sport. The Sports Surfaces Tour explores the latest technology and thinking around how to increase carrying capacity of natural, hybrid, synthetic sports turf and other hard sport surfaces.
The Tour will hear from industry experts on how the latest technology is being used and embraced by the industry with hands-on visits around Melbourne.
The Tour will include sites:
- Melbourne Cricket Ground – Latest thinking, experiences on latest species and management practices of natural grass in Melbourne’s iconic stadium.
- St Kevin’s College – one of Australia’s largest synthetic surface school project, including athletics surface, football, cricket and hockey fields.
- Polytan/APT Manufacturing Plant – Opportunity to appreciate how synthetic turf yarn is produced, tufted into the carpet for the different kinds of surface and how a typical field is designed and developed.
- East Doncaster Secondary College – A synthetic grass multi-sports field.
- Melbourne City FC Training Facilities – Australia’s first and only true hybrid sports field, the Desso Grassmaster, at La Trobe University, Bundoora.
- Mill Park Lakes Recreation Reserve – A state of the art synthetic playing surface in its first year of AFL use.
The Tour departs from the Pullman Hotel Albert Park at 9.00am and will return at 4.30pm, includes lunch and is limited to 50 people. Cost of the Tour will be $125 +GST per person.